HPPS Packed Lunch Guidance
Packed Lunch Guidance
As a Healthy School we encourage good eating habits for our children and provide guidance to support children making healthy choices. A healthy lunch gives children the energy they need to work and play for the rest of the day.
Practical tips for a healthy packed lunch:
- Involve your child in choosing and preparing their packed lunch.
- One child’s portion size of fruit or vegetables is roughly the amount they can hold in their hand.
- Swap to wholegrain bread, or use one slice of white and one of brown.
- Try to vary the fillings of sandwiches.
- Using a different type of bread can make lunches more interesting.
- Try an alternative to sandwiches - make rice, pasta or cous cous. Or use rice cakes, crackers or bagels.
- Some of our children require special diets so therefore children should not swap food at lunchtime.
- Children are only allowed to bring one item containing chocolate (including Nutella sandwiches).
- Small chocolate biscuit, e.g. Penguin, small cupcake or muffin. Full size confectionary or chocolate bars are not permitted.
- Children can have water or still juice in their packed lunch. No fizzy drinks or energy drinks!
- We are not able to keep packed lunches in refrigerated conditions.
If your child forgets to bring a packed lunch we will endeavour to contact you. If we are unable to do so we will provide a school lunch and ask you to reimburse us later.